STAND UP COMEDY : THE ULTIMATE STRESS-BUSTER
Stand up comedy, as it is known as, is a comedic performance in front of a live audience, in which the performer addresses the audience directly from the stage. The performer is known as a comedian, comic or stand-up.
WHAT IS STAND UP COMEDY? :
Stand up comedy is a kind of comedy that is generally delivered by a solo performer speaking directly to the audience, in some semblance of a spontaneous manner. Stand up comedy entails one-liners, stories and observations. It can also consist of a shtick that may incorporate props, music, magic tricks or ventriloquism. It can be performed almost anywhere, including places like comedy clubs, comedy festivals, bars, night clubs, colleges or theatres.
CLEAN STAND UP COMEDY :
Clean comedy is a comedy genre that is generally free of ribaldry i.e. racism, rape jokes, profanity, obscenity, incest, toilet related humour and similarly objectionable material. Clean comedy is not necessarily unprovocative. Clean stand up comedy is usually clean enough to be watched with the whole family.
HISTORY OF STAND UP COMEDY :
Stand up comedy, as a western art form, has its origin in the traditions of the late 19th century and early 20th century, such as Vaudeville, Burlesque and British music hall. The first documented use of the term “Stand-Up” was seen in “The Stage” in 1911. It was in connection to a woman named Nellie Perrier who delivered “stand up comic ditties in a chic and charming manner”. However, it was originally used to describe a performance of comedy songs rather than stand-up comedy in its true modern form.
VARIOUS TYPES OF STAND UP COMEDY :
There are various styles of Stand up comedys with their own formats, rules and target audiences. Some of the most prominent ones include –
- Alternative – This is intended to counter the established figures of main stream comedy. DIY is a “new alternative” to alternative comedy.
- Character – This is deriving humour from a persona invented by a performer and is sometimes based on stereotypes.
- Insult or Roasting – This style consists of offensive insults hurled at the audience or other performers.
- Musical – This is derived from music, with or without lyrics.
- Observational – This includes poking fun at everyday life by observing the stillness of something that society accepts as normal.
- Satire – Satire ridicules political figures, the establishment or forms of ideology.
- Surreal – This style uses bizarre juxtapositions, absurd situations and non-sense logic to create fun.
POPULAR STAND UP COMEDY SHOWS :
Some of the most popular stand up comedys shows include Comicstaan, The Standups, Ladies Up, Def Comedys Jam, Only Jokes Allowed, Comediana of the world, Plastic Cup Boys, The Degenerates, etc. Some of the funniest stand up comedians of all time, in the world are Jim Carey, Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor, Robbin Williams, Eddie Murphy, Rodney Dangerfield, etc.
All comedians give people an opportunity to look at the humour in life and laugh at it. Comedies usually highlight a hilarious scene for people to enjoy and laugh. Thus, in our current life, which is packed with stress and tension, stand up comedys is a welcome relief. It is indeed a stress buster.
[…] https://kolahal.org/2022/05/21/stand-up-comedy-the-ultimate-stress-buster/ […]