SHORT FILM : CREATING A CONCENTRATED PIECE OF STORYTELLING
Depending on the duration of a movie, films can be divided into full length feature films and short films. A short film is any motion picture that is short enough in running time so that it cannot be considered a feature film. Thus a short film is defined first and foremost by its brevity. STORYTELLING
SHORT FILMS : THE IDEA DISCUSSED
The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences defines a short film as ” an original motion picture that has a running time of 40 minutes or less, including all credits “.
Though they come in various sizes, use cases and genres, their goals are almost always the same – spend less than what is needed to make a feature film, gain professional visibility and practice telling smaller and more concentrated stories, before graduating into the making of full length feature films. Thus, it is to create a concentrated piece of storytelling at a significantly lower cost.
CHARACTERISTICS OF A GOOD SHORT FILM :
• A good short film must be focused and specific.
• Cannot explore more than one topic.
• Idea should be fresh.
• Characters of a short film should engage the audience.
• It should have an affecting backdrop.
• It should hold some surprise.
SHORT FILM FESTIVAL :
Just like full length feature films, short films too are screened at festivals. If you have made a short film, you have already done most of the hard work. Next comes the step of submitting your films to festivals. Below are the names of some of both domestic and international festivals for short films :-
- Sundance Film Festival held at Park City, Utah.
- Cannes Film Festival ( accepts works of 15minutes or less ).
- Encounters International short film festival held in Bristol, England.
- Palm Springs International Film Festival organised in California.
- Toronto International Film Festival held in Toronto, Canada.
- Tribeca Film Festival, New York.
- Malhaar Short Film Festival organised in India.
- International Film Festival of India.
BENEFITS OF MAKING A SHORT FILM :
If you are interested in film making as your future career, you can start off with short-film making. Making a short film can help you grow as a director and an all-round film maker. Some of the benefits of making a short film are –
- It gives film-making freedom. While making a short film, you have the chance to be very creative, albeit in a small burst.
- You can make a short film in a very low budget.
- You can easily take the risk as everything is in a small scale.
- Many people in today’s time don’t have the time or attention span for a full movie. Thus it is easier to market a short film as it has a better chance of reaching to more people.
SHORT FILM OSCAR :
It is interesting to know that in the Academy Awards or the Oscars, there is an Oscar award category for The Best Short Film. And if you make a good short film, you can win an Oscar in this category.
Short film of various duration and topics are flooding the YouTube, the largest video sharing platform in the world. A short film is an inexpensive way for filmmakers to experiment and learn what works. This knowledge can be fruitfully used when the filmmaker moves on to make a feature film. STORYTELLING
[…] https://kolahal.org/2022/06/04/short-film-creating-a-concentrated-piece-of-storytelling/ […]